What we're about...

What we're about...

We love UPCYCLED art and a unique gift idea, so we work to create unusual frames and upcycled SCRABBLE ART– like Scrabble jewelry. We have Scrabble art for dog lovers (because we specialize in vintage dog stuff), but we also have other themed Scrabble jewelry and we’re adding more all the time!

Some of the newest themes we’ve added to our Scrabble jewelry include Star Wars, Van Gogh, Harry Potter and Banned Books and Paris…plus many more! You just never know what upcycled SCRABBLE ART we’ll come up with next…we love creating new Scrabble jewelry!!

We specialize in unique gift ideas for dog lovers, so we hope people will check us out when looking for upcycled dog jewelry or a cool DOG FRAME. We work hard to have lots to offer!

Our journey is crazy busy sometimes, the financial end can be a struggle, we don’t know how we’ll keep going, but then…oh my…the ideas come, people send wonderful notes about our stuff, and we’re working together for ourselves. So…our handcrafted journey continues. We hope you’ll stop by now and then. We love that this business opens us up to the whole world…how amazing of a journey is that!

Friday, August 3, 2012


We just jumped into this blog without giving any background about how we got started on our handcrafted journey.  Where did our journey begin?  Well, it really started when I was a little girl and a “crafty” kind of kid.  I remember having a friend when I was five whose family had made an “art” room at their house.  It had everything imaginable to create fabulous crafts and priceless artwork.  And…as a five-year-old, I thought it was the most exciting place to be.  Interestingly, I now have an “art” room of my own.  I guess it’s true how we come full circle to what we knew and loved first.


A Basset Hound Dog Frame with vintage Basset images adhered to the wood.
BASSET HOUND DOG FRAME


But…now…fast-forward about 40 decades and here we are working to build our  handcrafted   business.  The dog frame idea came to me in the mid-90s while living in Ohio.  I have always loved dogs – showing them, training them, having them as a part of our family, but the dog frame idea just percolated until finally after many years and several moves, including moving home to Washington State, I finally pulled it all together.  In 2005, I made my first very rough frames and went to my first show.



However, as fate had it, the very day I returned home from that show there was a message that I had a job. (You know one of those “day jobs” that pays the bills until you’re able to leave your day job to do something like the dog frames.)  I was in agony.  I weighed the pros and cons.  The show went well.  I knew people were interested in my product, but money was running out and a good-paying job would certainly be helpful.  Money, frames, money, frames? In the end, money won.  I have been dirt poor before, and I didn’t want to be there again.  I reasoned with myself that the job would help to finance my handcrafted business…and it did.


Preparing Scrabble tiles for upcycled jewelry with the assistant Sweet Pea, the cat.
 I have been slowly building the business since that time.  A couple more moves, a different job, finding the love of my life (who is my partner in this business), and now we’re up and running full-time with our shop on Etsy.  At times we still struggle with finances, time management, and working so many hours that I have to make myself take a day off now and then, but in the end, we’re getting ahead, figuring things out and I know this is where I’m supposed to be.  Every time I create a dog frame and our upcycled jewelry, or a customer sends a heartfelt note and feedback, it makes me stay the course and continue on our handcrafted journey, and what a journey it is.


Testimonials of past customers!
TESTIMONIALS



No comments:

Post a Comment